Monday, September 1, 2008

A New Rant:



Is there some reason why my post has to begin halfway down the page?

I know I've been gone for all of August, but have I really missed that much?!

A friend of mine recently made a comment: She claimed to be apoplectic about Sarah Palin and wants to volunteer for Obama -- in a red state.

Naturally I ran straight to the dictionary to see what the hell that word meant! These are the actual results.


8 results for: apoplectic Browse Nearby Entries
Dictionary.com Unabridged (v 1.1) - Cite This Source - Share This ap·o·plec·tic Audio Help [ap-uh-plek-tik] Pronunciation Key - Show IPA Pronunciation
–adjective Also, ap·o·plec·ti·cal.
1.of or pertaining to apoplexy.
2.having or inclined to apoplexy.
3.intense enough to threaten or cause apoplexy: an apoplectic rage.
–noun
4.a person having or predisposed to apoplexy.

[Origin: 1605–15; <>apoplécticus <>apopléktikós pertaining to a (paralytic) stroke, equiv. to apóplékt(os) struck down (verbid of apoplssein) + -ikos -ic]

Now maybe it's just me, but that didn't help me much. Weren't we told in school that you can't use the word or form of the word in the definition? WTF kind of definition is that? It's like saying:

Rhythmic: Having rhythm. Or Hatred: Hating someone or something, to hate. To be hateful.

I was finally able to pin the feeling I was experiencing toward the dictionary definition down. I was apoplectic about it!

***Okay, When I previewed my post I saw the reason why I couldn't start my text at the top of the page. There was a freaking add running there. On my blog post! I didn't put it there! Has this happened to anyone else? What is going on?

7 comments:

TheWeyrd1 said...

Well it's about damn time you showed up!!! As for your dictionary issue...sometimes you must trace the word to it's root: Apoplexy: A fit of extreme anger; rage: "The proud . . . members suffered collective apoplexy, and this year they are out for blood" (David Finch). That was the only non-medical definition...

Baino said...

Hey has Red got her mojo back? Apoplexy is also the world's largest development and download repository of Open Source code and applications ... Apoplexy provides simple, fast and direct MP3 management! So there!

Anonymous said...

First, welcome back.

I haven't had the ad problem, thankfully. Yet, anyway. And yes, they should have offered at least a brief paranthetical definition of apoplexy.

Unknown said...

LOL I've long been intrigued by that word...it sounds funny.... and you're right...the definitions you found are absofreakin'lutely useless!! Thanks theweyrd1 for finding one that actually tells us what the word means.

RED MOJO said...

theweyrd1, I shouldn't have to follow it to the root, they should give a definition there...at the word. That's my point!!!

baino, Thanks for that alternate definition! ;)

Citizen, thank you for being on my side, as usual!

boo7, See? My blog is educational!

heartinsanfrancisco said...

Funny! That kind of thing makes me apoplectic, too.

No ads so far on my site. There won't be, ever, unless someone is able to sneak them in which is what it sounds like happened here. I didn't know they could do that. It seems to have been removed now so that's encouraging.

Slip said...

Shit it is good to see you popping your head up! I have been busier then a one armed paper hanger myself.